Recipes * Critters * Garden * Stories *

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dragonfly Days


This little guy, and thousands like him, have been hanging around the homestead.  They come for the millions of mosquito larvae which have hatched in the fields. Welcome, warrior bugs!

It is quite a spectacle, as they fill the air an hour before dusk. The other day, one gently climbed onto my hand and allowed me to carry it out into the sun to try and get its picture.

Dragonflies expend a lot of energy when they hunt, and they have to cool down, like this fellow on the edge of the garden fence.  I took this with a regular digital camera. Doesn't it look like he's mugging for me?

Later on, another came and landed ever so gently on my fingertip as I sat quietly in the shade watching the show.

I didn't know Dragonflies like to play. Awesome day.