Recipes * Critters * Garden * Stories *

Monday, September 2, 2013

Kitchen Time with my Jalapenos

The smells of garden filled the air this weekend.

The last 10 figs came off the tree and we enjoyed a fig and almond breakfast cake this morning, Labor Day, as we rested up from a very long week.

Zucchinis have been in abundance, and we've got 4 loaves of Zbread - two regular batches with a hint of cinnamon, and two special batches of double chocolate zucchini that was a family recipe from a friend. Both are delicious, but the DblChoc warmed up a little with a scoop of ice cream is heaven on earth.

On Sunday I bubbled up a batch of creamy broccoli cheddar soup, which we dipped with large chunks of sourdough for dinner, and I had a reprise for today's lunch. It's Panera's recipe. Mine cut way back on the half and half and the cheese, and I doubled up on the carrots, and it was perfect.

The chile plant went crazy and there were 15 good sized ones, so those went into another batch of red pepper jelly. I substituted green for red, added in some red pepper flakes for zing, yellow and red bell peppers as a base, and put up 13 jars this afternoon. We'll do a grand opening on tomorrow's bagel with cream cheese.

The store-bought jalapenos intended for the jelly will be pickled and canned for next year. I planned on making spring rolls and made up some Thai chile dipping sauce that's waiting in the fridge for later in the week.

Kitchen time lets me unwind but I am an every-surface-and-utensil kind of cook. It hasn't been a successful day until every surface is cluttered and the sink is full of dishes. August had too much rental house stuff going on, and I had kind of built up a lot of ideas that all had to be made this weekend. I got through about half of what I had planned. The main thing is the rental stuff is done, and things can get back to something closer to normal.

I am always ready for September, but this year I am especially grateful to flip the page. August is the longest month of the year, maybe because by this point I'm good and ready for Fall.

The garden gave up six artichokes today, 2 lemon cukes, another big dog Armenian cuke, and a squash. Tomatoes are f-i-n-a-l-l-y  yielding 6 or 8 a day. Super disappointed in the Better Boys ... all plant and no fruit ... but the Romas and the Beefsteaks are more than making up for it.

Thinking forward to canning salsa, diced tomatoes with onion and peppers, and spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and garlic ... and our winter garden, which is just around the corner. Bring on the crisper evenings and shorter days, the sights and smells of fall, reacquainting yourself with your winter wardrobe, and knowing pumpkins will bring family.  And maybe, please, a brief respite from mosquitos.