Recipes * Critters * Garden * Stories *

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

It's Elementary

We were talking to a farmer, or maybe the well guy, or the arborist, or maybe it was the contractor, anyway! There were water pressure problems, as in the toilet kind of gurgled and didn't make much of an effort to flush, and we wanted an expert opinion from one of the locals.

Whoever it was that we trapped into an opinion thought it was probably the water table getting low on account of the late summer harvests and everyone watering crops the way they were.

I was lost in thought. What did watering crops have to do with us, again? We have our own well. I was thinking and wondering away along these lines, silently I thought, until his expression and tone changed and he explained, as if speaking slowly to a dim-witted child, in this case me, that the water is everyone's and our well just taps into it.

How did that unfiltered thought escape? I blushed in embarrassment. And then I admired his fortitude for not busting a gut laughing at the clueless city girl. It seemed almost chivalrous to hold back from finishing me off with, Just Like an Underground River, Dear.

Ya, well, I still brine a mean olive.