Recipes * Critters * Garden * Stories *

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Caramel Fanatico

Friends found an article in the local paper about a Zinnia Farm in Zamora so we checked it out.  It was a pick your own flowers place. There were buckets of water, clippers to use, baskets and glass jars to arrange the flowers and take home ... all completely free. This was the second year Metzger's Farm in Yolo has offered the Zinnia Farm but we didn't know about it. It was a pretty great stop, a total feel good from start to finish. There was no one to thank, so we left our clippers behind for others to use. I'm taking 5 cheerful bouquets to work tomorrow.

The other fun part happened a couple of weeks ago when I made caramel sauce for the first time. Caramel is one of those amazing kitchen chemical miracles. You add heat ... sugar ... butter ... and cream and it transforms into this creamy rich dark gooey caramel yumminess.

I took 4 oz jars to my test lab (work friends) and they went nuts. As they talked about it little spittles formed at the edge of their mouths. Not really. But I did hear reports that husbands cleaned the jars and requested refills. Some grandmothers who shall remain nameless resorted to hiding their jar from their family and wanting more even before the jar was empty. And one of my coworkers who has this tiny little body and never eats ate the entire 4 oz jar with sliced apples while standing in the hallway as we all watched in awe.

I offered the recipe, but I was pretty much told to just make it for everyone forever and they would buy it. HA! So I turned it into a Relay fundraiser and in one week had over $200 in orders!

So part of my weekend also involved batches of Salted Caramel Sauce. I was blogging tonight and out of the blue came a photo of a bowl of vanilla ice cream with the caption that read: my ice cream is sad.  I'm not going to even think about my role in creating an office of Salted Caramel Sauce junkies.


I could balance the Federal budget with this!
                                              Fund universities!
                                                                   Create world peace!




Serve with my test lab recommendations ~ green apples, sliced banana, unsalted pretzels, marshmallows, Triscuits, strawberries, and ice cream.

I am told it is also very good twirled on a fork and eaten right from the jar. That's right, the Hubs knows his stuff.