Recipes * Critters * Garden * Stories *

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Fleetwood Max

Every day starts off pretty normal.  The way it goes is this:  after I'm 3/4 of the way through my first cup of coffee, somebody gets a little antsy.  She looks deeply into my eyes as she prances around, she whines and hops from one foot to the other.  Are you ready yet?
How about now?
Now? Now? Now?

I slide into flip flops, refill my cup and head out to the chuck it with ball wedged in the tree, waiting. Enthusiasm is running high.  We play throw and catch and find it in the tall weeds, all over the yard, and they are finally ready to start the day.  This is incidentally the same routine when the last bite of dinner is gone and the Hubs and I chat afterwards about our day. He cracks open an orange and the dogs are at my feet like lightning, begging for a piece from him and a game from me.
 
Today, there is something new in the drive. It's a Fleetwood Americana pop up tent trailer airing out in the sun. We explore that for a while and the dogs have to sniff and lay on every surface to see if it is comfortable, including the space below the table where they will park themselves during dinners on the road.

I sipped on my coffee and imagined being in Big Basin or Yosemite. And then we went out to play ball.

It has a peaceful energy, spacious inside with two large beds. We are hoping one will be for us and one for the dogs, but they do enjoy sprawling between us until we are clinging to the outer reaches of the mattress.
 
One of these units has always been on my wish list, but when the kids were small it was just as easy to tent camp, and we didn't have anywhere to store it or something to haul it.  

But now we do! So when we saw the ad, my love of camping and his love of fishing bubbled up happily and we thought it would be a lot of fun. We named him Max.

It's a big Father's Day surprise that I have arranged with our dear
friends in Portland to head up over Labor Day ... but hopefully we can get in a couple of overnights to break it in before then.

Surprise!! Happy Father's Day, sweetheart.  n