Recipes * Critters * Garden * Stories *

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

A Plan Without a Template

The garden is in neglect and the long 4th weekend is just in time for a day tending and fertilizing and providing extra water on these hot, hot summer days. I can't seem to keep Armenian cukes alive this year.  Something is eating them right down to the soil, along with the pole beans.

We've sprayed vinegar and water, snail bait, and kept a look out. Other than slugs, we don't see anything. Around it grows Japanese eggplant, tomatoes, 8 ball zukes, spaghetti squash, tomatoes, red and green bells, and more tomatoes. Did I mention tomatoes? I'll make another stab at replanting, but this will be the third go round.



It's a good thing the owls are about ready to vacate the box, because it's sweltering to over 100 degrees and there's an hour or so when the box is in full afternoon sun. It's a happy place with all this activity. There are hummingbirds at the feeders, a Red Tailed Hawk nest in the back with fledglings I was watching hop from branch to branch as they build their confidence, but no bats in the belfry (on a number of levels).

We think the Mosquito Vector spraying is significantly helping this year. I'm not sad for less mosquitos, but now wonder if Dragonfly Day will come.  Tons of dragonflies are attracted to the first big wave of mosquito larvae hatching.  It is a sensational experience, and we look forward to it every year. (This is the one and only time we don't mind the grungy pool next door that breeds them)

For about 15 minutes the air moves with brightly colored bodies that catch the light as the dragonflies larvae hunt. When they grow tired, they land on the bill of our caps, on tables and chairs, on the pillars of the house, even on the tip of our fingers.

So, about the front yard reno. There was a bit of a miscommunication with the gardener who is Basque and his hard working but Spanish-speaking-only crew. We were distracted by another project in Woodland on the day they were here and volleying back and forth, and I came home to a sea of river rock. It didn't help that I greatly over-ordered rock, and likely that complicated matters by the guys having absolutely no idea whatsoever of what I wanted.

And so. The next step is an arduous reno of the reno to make room for tanbark and plants. The gardener won't be back, not that I blame him. All I had were photos of other people's yards with a vague spray painted walkway area, saying this is what I want.

I always seem to think things are less involved than they are. I've a storied past of removing electrical wires in bathrooms and chipping out tiled entryways.  I am fearless and an inexperienced DYI-er. So as I stand looking out at the disaster out front, I catch myself thinking, hey, 20 minutes a day and in no time it'll be done. More likely it will take the rest of the summer and most of the fall and a good portion of winter and into next spring.

So as I stare out at the heat radiating off the rocks, my thoughts turn cheerfully to the porch that was newly painted and the trim to match. And I think to myself, finally! the Edison lights can be hung.